LOW COST WIND MILL FOR WATER PUMPING - National Innovation Foundation
Use of wind mill is one of the oldest methods of harnessing energy from wind to pump water. However, majority of the windmills available in the market are Aerodynamic windmills. These types of windmills require high cut-in speed (minimum wind speed requires for starting is about 5 to 7 km/hr) and this is a major limitations for majority of the Indian geographical area except coastal area. They also require high maintenance and are very expensive.D
This windmill has unique design. It is working on aerodynamic principle but it is a Drag Type low height windmill for lifting ground water. It starts at very low wind speed (i.e. about 8 to 10 km/ hr), very easy to use and maintain and cheap compared to conventional windmill.
Innovators: Md. Mehtar D Hussain and Mustaq Ahmad from Dibrugarh Assam.
Award: 6th National Grassroots Innovation Awards 2012.
Cost: Around 80000 Rs. Plus Transporation.
- The windmill structure is made from MS. The structure is divided into three main components via; Base structure, intermediate structure and head assembly (Rotor, crank and tail assembly).
- For the conversion of rotary motion to reciprocating motion, crank and connecting rod mechanism is used. The crank mechanism with the rod, which in turn is connected to the cylinder at the bore.
- Turbine blades are made of lightweight material and are given the proper angle so that the higher wind power can be harnessed and thereby can pump the water from greater depth.
- Furling tail mechanism and manual brake system has been incorporated in the windmill to safe guard it against the high wind velocity. The tail is being offset to the central axis in proportion to the offset of the rotor from the same. The tail is mounted on the inclined shaft in such a way that it gets restored as the wind speed comes down
- This is very useful for pumping water up to the depth of 50 feet. The water discharge capacity is about 1200 -1500 lit / hr at wind speed of 10–12 km/hr. The performance may decrease while lifting water from depth more than 50 ft.
- It can be fitted to a tube well or open well for light irrigation and potable water too.
- It is an eco-friendly product with low initial cost and minimal operating cost.
Further Informations and Courtsey